Lightbox is a simple, unobtrusive script used to overlay images on top of the current page. It's a snap to setup and works on all modern browsers.
- Plus a few files for the demo page
Lightbox2 is open-source.
Fork the code on Github.
- v2.51 - 4/20/12 - IE Fix: removed stray console.log statements. :-/
- v2.5 - 4/10/12 - Switch to jQuery. Code put in Github. Compiling with Coffeescript and SASS.
- v2.05 - 3/18/11 - Upgraded Prototype (now works in IE9) and Scriptaculous. Minor bug fixes.
- v2.04 - 3/9/08
- NEW - Upgraded Prototype from v1.4 to v184.108.40.206
- NEW - Moved label text into configuration for easier localization
- FIXED - Caption displays as "null" when viewing an uncaptioned image after viewing a captioned image.
- FIXED - Clicking 'close' button shifts layout as link focus' dotted line appears.
- v2.03.3 - 5/21/07 - Support for horizontally scrolling pages. Added updateImageList method for ajax'y pages.
- v2.03.2 - 4/30/07 - Fixed animated gif support in IE/Opera.
- v2.03.1 - 4/18/07 - Fixed embed hiding. Overlay opacity var added to config. Image sets w/Imagemaps fix. Clearfix removed.
- v2.03 - 4/10/07 - Improved keyboard navigation. Animation off toggle. Hides Flash movies under overlay. Imagemap support. Valid CSS.
- v2.02 - Fixed layout issues caused by multiline captions. Added keyboard navigation.
- v2.01 - Centering in IE6 (any DOCTYPE) fixed. Smoothed out resize transition.
How to use
Part 1 - Setup
<script src="js/jquery-1.7.2.min.js"></script> <script src="js/lightbox.js"></script>
- Include the Lightbox CSS file.
<link href="css/lightbox.css" rel="stylesheet" />
- Check the CSS and make sure the referenced
next.pngfiles are in the right location. Also, make sure the
close.pngfiles as referenced near the top of the
lightbox.jsfile are in the right location.
Part 2 - Activate
- Add a
rel="lightbox"attribute to any link tag to activate Lightbox.
Optional: Use the
<a href="images/image-1.jpg" rel="lightbox" title="my caption">image #1</a>
titleattribute if you want to show a caption.
- If you have a set of related images that you would like to group, follow step one but additionally include a group name between square brackets in the rel attribute.
No limits to the number of image sets per page or how many images are allowed in each set. Go nuts!
<a href="images/image-1.jpg" rel="lightbox[roadtrip]">image #1</a> <a href="images/image-2.jpg" rel="lightbox[roadtrip]">image #2</a> <a href="images/image-3.jpg" rel="lightbox[roadtrip]">image #3</a>
For personal support issues and feature requests please post a message in the forums. I do not have time to personally respond to support emails, please use the forum. Thanks!
For bug reports, send a note with the browser you are using and the version of Lightbox to lokesh.dhakar@[ google's email service ].com.
Lightbox is completely free to use. If you're using Lightbox on a commercial project and feeling generous, consider a donation. All donations are sincerely appreciated. Thanks!